28mm Sajan Iconic Monk: Hand Surgery Conversion

My friends and I are playing Rise of the Runelords, a campaign for Pathfinder roleplaying game.
My friend Nik is playing a Monk, but we lack such a miniature. So, tired of using a raging barbarian as a figure, he decided to order this miniature directly from Reaper's online store. I think he spent more for shipping than for the goods...
The miniature arrived with its weapon detached from the arm, broken, but the package made this feature invisible, so the damage was discovered only after opening it. Very bad, I must say.

Sajan, unarmed iconic monk


A first repair was attempted, using only some glue. The house in which the miniature was standing was cleaned, as every week, and our monk tested flight, landing on the floor, his weapon lost forever. Vacuum cleaned, I believe.
A debate was started about what to do and, as our Monk is using a double +1 magical staff, some suggestions were presented:





An alternative 'render' was also produced.


Until I found this, in the most obvious place. This was also of great help and inspiration. The decision was then taken and I searched among the spares, quickly identifying the suitable victim.

So long, chaos standard!


At first I tried to gently twist its arm, but the miniature produced unearthly creakings from its bowels so I took knife and drill and began the operation. I cut off its hand. The actual pin is longer, this one was a test. After glueing this first pin, I understood it was too short to support hand + weapon so I took it off and drilled deeper into the arm, but this time it was harder than before. Cyanoacrylate is harder than stone or my drill bits are not suitable for it.



I drilled another hole through the whole lenght of the hand, to assure the two pieces of the 'magical' staff to be straight and to give support to the assembly. The pin is not that long, I shortened it.



Here's the miniature asssembled. There's some putty work to do. Besides filling the gaps, I'll have to cover the weapon's hilt.





And then I'll have to paint it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DBA Paper Counters/Icons Army

28mm Dwarf