Tercios@ARES

I've spent a nice Saturday's afternoon playing Tercios at ARES, in Cesano Maderno (MB).
The place is wonderful (two large tables in two separate rooms, lots of minis and props) and the people is nice, welcoming and well experienced. Minis are top-level, especially the ACW ones which were deployed in the first room. The only drawback is that the place is not exactly "around the corner" and moving in the Metropolitan Area during evenings could take two hours to get back.

I knew very little about Tercios before playing, I just took a look at the Brevis Editio and tried to remember Pike and Shot Campaigns' golden rule: never send Mounted vs. Pikes.
The game rules are quite simple and I understood them in half a round. Cards for orders, alternate activation, reactions, etc. You shoot with 4d6 and hit with 4+, your opponent rolls 4d6 and saves with 5+ etc. Quick and easy.

The match opposed a Swedish army vs. an Imperial army. I was recruited by the Swedish and took command of the central force, composed by shooters and light artillery. My good scores impressed my mates, a series of successful charges made by our cavalry on our right flank swept away the enemy's one and on the left our mounted troops resisted, under heavy fire, two imperial lancers's charges. A unit of imperial tercios broke and after two hours the score was 4-1 for our side. We won, even if we had one or two rounds left.
I really regret I took no photos, the set-up was top-level.

I like the game, although I have no interest in that time period and I feel there's little space for maneuvers (except for mounted troops, obviously) so you have to carefully plan in advance your troops' deployment. We didn't use special traits for commanders, which I think add more flavour to the game.


Thanks to Mike and the other guys @ ARES for this nice afternoon, see you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DBA Paper Counters/Icons Army